The benefits of olive leaf extract can be traced back to ancient Mediterranean cultures, where the herb was used to treat a wide variety of illnesses.
In recent years the olive leaf has been rediscovered by the herbal supplement community, and new therapeutic applications have been discovered.
What is olive leaf extract?
The extract comes from the olive tree, a member of the evergreen family native to the Mediterranean region but grown around the world. The therapeutic benefits lie in the active ingredient oleuropein, a phenolic compound.
1) Anti-Inflammatory Properties - Olive leaf extract contains a class of compounds called flavonoids, which possess anti-inflammatory abilities.
2) Immune System Booster - Studies have shown that people who have taken olive oil extract have achieved a better sense of wellness. The extract acts to boost the body's ability to ward of illness and disease.
3) Interrupting Pathogens - Research points to olive extract's ability to stop the replication of pathogens, including bacteria and viruses, in the body.
Additional research has shown that benefits may include lowering blood pressure and increasing blood flow, as well as lowering cholesterol levels.
You can purchase an individual supplement, or you can buy a more comprehensive product that includes oleuropein along with other herbs, vitamins and minerals. In our opinion, you are better off with the latter for many reasons.
Maximize the benefits of olive leaf extract
Many herbalists and scientists feel that you can achieve better results with a blend of herbs, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in one formula. Here's why:
A) Many herbs, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients work together synergistically- often a blend of nutrients can work better together than one nutrient on its own. The therapeutic effect is enhanced by the nutrients working together.
For example: Olive leaf can work together with ginger to lower high blood pressure. Vitamin E works in conjunction with Vitamin C in a similar fashion.
B) You can help several body systems at one time - For example, you can treat a condition with one herb, protect your body with another and make sure the condition does not return with yet another herb.
For example: Olive leaf can boost your immune system while turmeric protects your liver and gingko maintains circulation.
C) Herbs can offset the possible side effects of each other - an herb that helps alleviate a problem in one area can help treat a slight side effect that may be caused by another.
For example: Olive leaf could cause a mild side effect that is easily treated with ginger present in the product.
Another thing to consider is that many olive leaf products on the market don't even contain olive leaf extract! It's hard to believe but it's true! This is the case with many different single and multi-herb products.
In a recent study, a test of 54 ginseng products found that 25% of them did not even contain ginseng! It's amazing what marketers will do when they don't have to account for the ingredients in their products!
So you can see how important it is to find a high quality product, and how a blend of herbs, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients may be more beneficial to your health than a single herb product, not to mention safer!
We have found an herbal supplement with the benefits of olive leaf extract that meets all of the requirements we mentioned above:
1. It is formulated under strict GMP compliance, meaning it contains the purest ingredients.
2. It is developed by a highly-trained, well-credentialed qualified scientific team ensuring the efficacy of the product.
3. It contains a synergistic blend of standardized herbal extracts, along with essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients to promote overall wellness.
Many of our editors as well as our visitors have experienced success with Total Balance. They have used Total Balance for the benefits of olive leaf extract as well as its many other therapeutic ingredients.
As with all health supplements, results vary from person to person so be sure to consult your physician or qualified herbal professional before taking any supplement for the benefits of olive leaf extract.